I recently read the book “Basta Lovelife: Making Wise Relationship Decisions” by Kuya Kevin. It’s a Christian book that talks everything about a relationship. One of the topics tackled is the ‘when is the right age for a relationship.’ In this part, the author mentioned about being financially and emotionally ready before entering a marriage as he said that you are ready for a relationship if you are prepared to get married within a reasonable amount of time… dating / courting should be preparation for marriage.
He gave a few questions to evaluate your emotional maturity and these are the following:
- Are you easy to get along with?
- How do you respond when you don’t get your way?
- Do you know how to compromise?
- Can you discuss disagreements without fighting?
- Do you fight with your friends or girlfriend/boyfriend over petty things?
- Can you put someone else’s needs ahead of your own?
- Are you ready to share 100% of your life with someone?
- Do you understand your goals/purpose in life?
- Can you honestly express what you feel?
- Are you overly jealous?
- Are you honest and trustworthy?
- Are you too sensitive or insensitive?
- Are you overly dramatic?
Now, if you are in a relationship or planning to get married, don’t you think it’s time to do something about the areas you need improvements to?